Happy 2011! As a treat for the new year, I have collected and adapted a few lessons I try to follow and threw in a few of my own. Enjoy :)
1. Don’t make new resolutions. Cultivate new habits.
2. When in doubt, choose the more exciting option.
3. Don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s all small stuff.
4. If you are not happy with your life, change something.
5. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
6. Laugh at yourself before someone else gets a chance.
7. Pay off your credit cards in full, every month.
8. You don’t have to win every argument. Even if you’re right.
9. Food is fuel. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. And have a cheat meal once a week.
10. Make peace with the past. Plan a little for the future. But live in the present.
11. Pay into a savings account before buying anything. Even if it’s just change.
12. Listening is a skill. Listen actively.
13. It’s your life. Make it count. Live with passion.
14. Volunteer for the needy. It feeds the soul. Or at least give.
15. You don’t have to live your life the way other people expect you to. Avoid death bed regrets.
16. Love like you’ve never been hurt, sing like no one is listening and dance like no one’s watching.
17. Don’t compare your life to others. It’s not a competition.
18. You can get through anything. Take one baby step. Then take another.
19. Life’s too short to waste time feeling sorry for yourself.
20. It’s never too late to have a happy memories. How you frame memories is up to you.
21. When it comes to doing what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
22. Don’t save things for a special occasion. Today is special.
23. Be prepared but go with the flow.
24. Education really does give you more opportunities. It’s never too late.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. You make your own luck.
27. Forgive everyone. Including yourself.
28. The best way to get love is to give love.
29. Time does heals almost all wounds.
30. Hug more often. Hug longer.
31. If you are scared to do something, you must do it. Kick fear’s ass!
32. Stay in touch with friends and family.
33. “Me time” is important.
34. Make the most of the time with people you care about. You never know when you’ll never see them again.
35. Take the stairs. Walk more. Be active everyday. Use it or lose it. Especially your forearms.
36. Be grateful for the little things.
37. 80% of success is showing up.
38. When you make a mistake, say you are sorry. And mean it.
39. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
40. Envy is a waste of time. You already have more than you need.
41. Just because you travel, doesn’t make you better than someone who hasn’t.
42. Read more non-fiction. Watch less YouTube. Learn about random cool shit.
43. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
44. It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
45. Keep a journal if you are trying to lose weight. It also helps for piece of mind.
46. Inspire and be inspired.
47. Strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet. Most of the time.
48. Live more in the offline world. You don’t need more Facebook friends.
49. Have an open heart and open mind. But don’t be stupid.
50. There is no one right way to travel. Only different.
51. Take deep breaths. It calms the mind.
52. Be eccentric now. It’s more fun.
53. If you have never failed, you have never challenged yourself. Fail more often.
54. You are what you eat; you become what you do; you manifest what you think.
55. Drink more water. And always wear sunscreen.
56. Live within your means. Earn it before you spend it.
57. Do nice things for other people. Even if you don’t know them.
58. What other people think of you is none of your business.
59. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
60. You have the ability to do remarkable things. The only thing stopping you is yourself.
61. Make each year your best year ever. Take life to the next level!
Now your turn. What can you add?
cruisesurfer’s log sea-date: 55:5:2 | 0:48